Mindfulness meditation is not the total practice of mindfulness, but it is an essential part. If you are unfamiliar with mindfulness, here is a good place to start.
It’s not the whole of it because mindfulness will become part of everything you do, from the simplest of tasks to deep concentration.
But you should not avoid setting aside discreet periods of time where you will meditate.
Of course, just as meditation is only one part of mindfulness, so also is mindfulness only one type of meditation.
Remember your Objective
Always remember that you have an objective.
It’s not to find enlightenment.
It is not to become a master of meditation although you will wish to become somewhat skilled in this direction.
It’s not just to become more mindful.
It’s to become a better trader. And you only want to do that, indeed the only reason anyone should want to trade at all, is to make more money.
So you are learning meditation to get better at making money.
That’s just about as far as you can get from the often portrayed purpose of meditation as a sort of ‘tune in, turn on and drop out’ activity.
Mindfulness Meditation is a Tool
Meditation is an exercise or practice that is used in mindfulness. See it as a tool.
Meditation is not the end you desire. You don’t want to learn all about meditation or even how it works.
No, you want the benefits that can arise if you use it correctly to develop mindfulness. It’s a means to an end. Can you live with that?
Putting it another way, approach meditation with an open, pragmatic mind.
You will learn meditation and use it in as far as it is useful to improve your ability to be mindful. No more.
It is a pretty complex practice and you may never become a master of it. But you don’t need to be a master to achieve your desired ends.
And if you think that the finer points of meditation, its more extreme practices and objectives beyond what is required to develop mindfulness is not for you, then that’s fine.
Your task is to make sure you don’t allow any fears or negative associations that you may have about meditation to get in your way in achieving your objective here.
Do this by just accepting meditation for what it is.
What Meditation is Not
Meditation to become more mindful is not:
- just a way to relax, although you will relax. It is also about concentration. And both of these contribute to the increasing awareness that is at the heart of mindfulness;
- about going into a trance or some higher state or ‘tuning out’ of the world around you. You will not be aiming for some level of unconsciousness and you will certainly not be trying to suppress emotions. Quite the opposite in fact;
- about little known secrets or ancient mysteries. You may not fully understand the psychological changes, but you don’t need to. You learn meditation by practice, and learning the practice is enough;
- concerned with the paranormal or any claim to external higher powers. You are not tapping into some ‘cosmic energy flow’. There is nothing in meditation or mindfulness that confounds or contradicts the laws of physics in any way. You just want to become more aware of the world around you;
- dangerous. You will not be tuning out of the real world or trying to suppress real issues. Nor will you get ‘high’, although you will begin to feel higher levels of contentment and happiness;
- about turning you into a better person. How could it? It is a tool for you to use. But it can help you to be the best you can be;
- a panacea for all problems or ills. It will help you to deal with them and perhaps find solutions. But the key figure is you.
Mindfulness meditation has an important role to play in preparing you to trade.
Now, go and do it with an open mind.